Monday, May 11, 2009

All Gone


I'm mainly writing this post for myself, and Caedmon one day.  

These last few days have been very bittersweet.   It appears our nursing days are over.  I remember back in the beginning, when there were days we stayed on the couch in our pjs all day, when I thought there was no way I could nurse him for a year.  I was bound and determined to stick it out though, and when he was around 3 months it began to be a little easier. He finally could make it 3 hours and would only nurse for 10-15 minutes, as opposed to nursing every 2 hours for 45 minutes.  When it started getting close to his 1st birthday, I knew neither one of us were ready to wean completely.  He was nursing 4 times a day:early morning, after each nap, and before bed.  When he went down to one nap, we went down to 3 times a day.  We cut out the after-nap nursing around 14 months.  Then when we were living with Chase's parents, he cut out the early morning one all on his own.  So it has just been our nighttime thing for a couple of months now.  And boy did my kid love his Boppy...which meant time to nurse!  After bath, he'd run out yelling "boo-pie" for boppy.   Until this weekend.  Saturday night,  he nursed on one side and then wanted to play.  He finally nursed on the other side before falling asleep, but I knew that the end was near.  My little boy was growing up!  Last night after bath, I sat on the couch and grabbed the boppy. He was up on the couch running from end to end.  I tried to grab him to nurse and he looked at me with his sweet grin and said "boo-pie! all gone!" and that was it.   A very bittersweet moment!
On one hand, it's fabulous because  I don't have to worry about how to wean.  I was getting kinda worried that we would have a rough time since he was so attached.
On the other hand, MY LITTLE BOY IS GROWING UP!!!!    

1 comment:

  1. how sweet! i love it when they make decisions on their own at 16 months old... and then make them crystal clear for us mommies and daddies!
    sounds like we need to plan our mommy trip... cause lucy is "all done," too!
    lots of love!

    ReplyDelete